Party Secretary of Shenzhen Municipality Xingrui Ma met makers from overseas at the VIP Hall of Shenzhen Municipal Committee and said that Shenzhen would strive to become “the Silicon Valley in China”.
Activities include 110 workshops, Summit on Fab 2.0 Creating the Future, 17 FAB Outdoor Activities, FAB 12 Innovation Exhibition& Public Open Day, etc.
1. On August 9~11, Professor Gershenfeld held 3 seminars on the development of Fab Lab, like Fab Foundation, Fab Economy, Fab Academy, etc.
2. Summit on FAB 2.0 Creating the Future attracted 23 excellent makers from all walks of life.
Santiago of Chile was elected as the host city for FAB 13.
3. The 2nd Shenzhen Makers@World was announced and themed on “Hello, Shenzhen!”. 10 young makers were selected to have a 3week study tour in London, Manchester, Glasgow, etc.
4. On August 12~15, Public Open Day attracted over 30,000 visitors.
(1). FAB 12 Innovation Exhibition
The exhibition displayed innovative products from the US, India, UK, South Korea, Austria, Egypt, China, etc.
Visitors had the chance to be engaged in interactive activities like making a piano with fruits, making handcrafted cardboard houses, etc.
5. Through 14 Fab outdoor activities and 3 Fab Visiting Tour in Shenzhen, over 2000 makers from overseas integrated with Shenzhen industry supply chain. Neil A. Gershenfeld, founder of Fab Lab&professor at MIT and the director of MIT's Center for Bits and Atom, said that Shenzhen led the world in mass manufacture, providing any tool and material for makers worldwide.
Two Contracts were signed to accelerate the development and transformation of Fab Lab 2.0, making Shenzhen a worldfamous maker city.
President of Fab Lab Foundation
It’s very exciting that FAB 12 was held in Shenzhen and makers from all over the world gathered in Shenzhen to brainstorm ideas together. In the future, I believe that every child has the chance to learn to use electronic tools and change their own life.
Executive Vicepresident and Secretary General of SIDA
Fab 12 will further boost the development of smart hardware products in Shenzhen, consolidate its leading position in manufacture, and inspire people on entrepreneurship. Shenzhen will also take advantage of maker resources to create sustainable and innovative environment.
Founder of Fab Lab Barcelona
Like most people, I am quite amazed by the pace of Shenzhen makers. Shenzhen speed makes everything from tough to easy.
Jean michel Molenaar
Founder of Fab Lab France
In the future, components are made in Shenzhen and projects are also done here, which is what we expect on Shenzhen.
COO of Red Lab
It’s interesting that it only takes 30 years for Shenzhen to become a prosperous city. Shenzhen is a city full of opportunities and potential in making an innovative ecosystem. Hopefully, Red lab will cooperate with Shenzhen in innovative models and industrial manufacture.